Asthma Specialist in Lehigh Acres FL
Asthma is a chronic, or long-term, condition that intermittently inflames and narrows the airways in the lungs. The inflammation makes the airways swell. According to CDC, 26+ million people live with asthma in the United States. At the office of Dr. Pedro Ylisastigui MD, we’re able to diagnose and help manage asthma. You can come to see us if you or someone you care about needs a diagnosis or just has some questions for us about seeing a specialist. For more information, Contact us today or schedule an appointment online! We are conveniently located at 1150 Lee Blvd. #4 Lehigh Acres, FL 33936.
Table of Contents:
Asthma is an obstructive lung disease along with other conditions like bronchiectasis, COPD, and emphysema. With asthma, the lungs are unable to expel air properly during exhalation. Breathing may be difficult for a person with asthma, and common symptoms include wheezing (a whistling sound) when breathing out, coughing, and shortness of breath.
Many people with asthma live with it as a minor nuisance, while other people struggle with the condition every day. The condition can lead to a life-threatening asthma attack too. However, a patient’s struggle can be relieved and asthma attacks may be prevented with professional support.
First, there are instances when emergency care is necessary. When you or another person is experiencing a severe asthma attack, this can be life-threatening, so emergency care may be vital. Seek emergency care if the person experiences:
• The rapid worsening of shortness of breath or wheezing
• Shortness of breath when doing minimal physical activity
• No improvement to their symptoms even after using a quick-relief inhaler
There are other times when urgent care at a walk-in clinic may be necessary. Remember, though, if the issue is or could be life-threatening, emergency care is absolutely necessary.
You should refer to a doctor or, better yet, an asthma specialist:
• If you believe you may have asthma
• To monitor your asthma after diagnosis
• If your asthma symptoms worsen
• To review your treatment regularly
Asthma can change over time, so you should meet with a doctor or specialist regularly to make sure it’s being controlled well.
A specialist can help in many ways. For one, a specialist is especially capable of detecting the signs of asthma and diagnosing it. In some patients’ cases of asthma, the attention of a specialist may be best or even necessary.
For patients with allergic asthma, allergy testing can reveal allergens the patients should avoid, like dust mites or pet dander. For these patients and other patients, one or more of the following treatments may help:
• A controller medication for the prevention of asthma attacks
• A quick-acting (rescue) inhaler for managing asthma attacks
• A nebulizer instead of an inhaler (this may be best for younger children or those patients who have difficulty with inhalers)
• Vaccinations for influenza and pneumonia, conditions that can trigger flare-ups
• Allergy medications or even allergy immunotherapy (for allergic asthma)
• Use of a dehumidifier or an air conditioner
• A long-term plan for symptom management
Dr. Ylisastigui is our primary doctor here at the office of Dr. Pedro Ylisastigui MD, and the doctor is very capable of helping you with asthma, whether you need a diagnosis or treatment. Call us today if you believe you need any of our services or a consultation with us. Alternatively, you can book a consultation with the doctor online. We serve patients from Lehigh Acres FL, Fort Myers FL, Gateway FL, Alva FL, Buckingham FL, Tice FL, Villas FL, Cape Coral FL, Matlacha FL, and Suncoast Estates FL.
We look forward to hearing from you soon here at the office of Dr. Pedro Ylisastigui MD!